If you’re thinking about waiting until after the new year to sell, you may be surprised about some of the benefits of selling in the winter. Today, I have five such benefits.
Today I’m going to tell you about five benefits of buying or selling in the winter that may surprise you.
1. Tax breaks. If you are going to wait until after the new year to purchase a home, any tax benefits you would get from writing off interest or for buying for investment purposes will all have to wait for over a year before you can use them. If you buy before December 31, it can be used as a tax write-off now.
2. Buyers and sellers want to make their move before the holidays. No one wants to be in the middle of a transaction during the holidays; buyers want to be settled in so they can celebrate with their families.
3. Adjust pricing. If you were trying to sell your home previously and didn’t have any success, you can now take advantage of the timing and either reduce your price to stand out from the crowd or you can try to get the price you were aiming for in the past.
4. Less competition. We see sellers all the time who are waiting to put their home on the market because they feel the timing is inconvenient or they’d prefer to wait until the new year. If you against the grain by selling now, you’ll see less competition because few homes are coming on the market right now, as compared to the first month of the new year.
5. Business is slow, so good deals are available. Contractors are slow this time of the year, so you might be able to get good deals on any repairs you want to make on the house right now. Also, deals such as those on Black Friday and other holiday sales allow you to get items for your home for a lower price than if you had bought them in the summertime.
If you have any questions or are looking to buy or sell, feel free to reach out to me anytime.